You'd think I would know. I am, after all, her mother and a kindergarten teacher, which means I should know exactly where she's at, what's best for her, and whether she has what it takes to be successful in half-day kindergarten (and beyond) if we start her this coming fall, at age 4-almost-5. Sadly, however, I haven't the slightest idea what we should do.
We'd planned on enrolling her this coming fall and hadn't thought twice about it, until a fellow kindergarten teacher Facebooked me to ask what I thought she should do about her son, who's a month younger than Keira. As we messaged back and forth, I realized that if Teacher Me were talking to Parent Me, I would have said exactly what I've said to lots of other parents before: "There's no harm in starting them later. If you start them too soon, sometimes you don't find out until upper elementary, or beyond, that they just weren't mature enough to keep up, and then retaining them at that point is tough." So why did I somehow skip over that reasoning when it came to Keira?
And then the second-guessing, pondering, polling everyone in the universe, and general confusion began.
Here are the facts:
- Keira was born October 2nd.
- The cut-off in our state to start kindergarten is currently Dec. 2nd, but they're gradually moving it back over the next few years, so that kids will have to be 5 before school starts in order to qualify for kindergarten. So, she qualifies now, but if she'd been born a few years later, this entire issue would be, as Joey Tribbiani would say, "moo"--she'd have to wait until next fall.
- Academically (and, as I said to my future principal, that feels like a silly word to use in reference to someone who wears Fancy Nancy underwear), Keira's set. She's starting to read, meets a pretty big chunk of the end-of-kindergarten standards already, and learns quickly. Bear and I aren't the least bit worried that she'd do great in kindergarten this year or next.
- Maturity-wise? Aye, there's the rub. Her preschool teacher says Kiwi is "definitely the most emotional" in her class. She still cries when Bear leaves for work in the morning. A few days ago, she randomly got teary-eyed and told me, "Mommy, you're gonna need to buy me some, um....big, um....human clothes, because I'm gonna keep getting bigger and none of my clothes will fit me!" Besides the irony of my underwear-clad daughter fretting about having clothes to wear, this incident really made me start thinking about whether she's not quite mature enough to handle big-kid school without crying at the drop of a hat. Then again, a friend of mine remarked that if she'd held her 8-year-old out of school on account of crying easily, the child would still not be in school! So, is this a maturity issue or a personality (a.k.a. Drama Queen) issue? Shrug. We have no idea.
- Her preschool teacher is on the fence, saying Keira may or may not be mature enough to start kindergarten in 6 months--it's too soon to tell.
- The director of the preschool strongly urged us to keep her there another year, and told me about a little boy who fluently read her verses from the Bible but still needed to stay another year for maturity reasons. Then again, she also cleary has a vested interest (to the tune of $230 a month) in keeping Keira around for another year!
- My future principal is strongly in favor of starting Keira this fall, and says she cannot imagine it being a problem. She, and many other successful adults we know, started kindergarten at 4 and went on to be very successful...and entered the workforce a year earlier, if we're keeping score on how this decision will impact Keira's overall lifetime earnings. (Are we??)
- Starting kindergarten at 4-almost-5 means she'll start high school at 13-almost-14, instead of 14-almost-15. Does this matter? Well, she'll be there with 18-year-old
boysmen, who have beards and drive cars and can legally smoke and get tattoos. Insert Psycho music here! Maybe being among the oldest in her class, rather than the youngest, would make her more likely to have the maturity to make decisions that won't land Bear and me in jail and/or an asylum before she graduates. Or, maybe not. Maybe being the youngest, and not being able to drive sophomore year or sign herself out of school all of senior year, are good things (from our perspective, at least--they'd definitely be a drag for Teenaged Keira). And we'll no doubt be freaking out when she hits high school regardless of how old she is, because have you been to a high school campus lately?! I haven't, but I know someone whose daughter witnessed a kid freaking out on Ecstacy in the middle of her art class; and Bear's brother heard an earful about STD's when he subbed in a high school class recently. Give me tantrums and diaper blowouts any day--I'd rather keep my girls little forever than send them there at all!
So, what to do? As with everything else, my first instinct is to research the bejeezus out of the issue, and this article and this article make a pretty convincing case for starting her this year. I couldn't find much reliable research showing that "redshirting" (a term I'm not even sure applies to Keira when she's so close to the cutoff date--it's not like we'd be waiting until she was 7 to start kindergarten or anything) has any long-term benefits for children, and most of what I've been able to find shows that the age at which kids start kindergarten has a much lesser effect on their future success than other factors (behavior, parental involvement, quality of schools/teachers, etc.).
Our own state's push to change the kindergarten entry age is supposedly based on loads of evidence (which I cannot locate) that doing so will increase test scores (heil, the all-important test scores!), especially for economically-disadvantaged kids, and reduce the budget (because fewer students who qualify for kindergarten = fewer teachers to pay). Those benefits don't really apply to Keira, though, because we're not terribly worried about her academic future--with two involved parents, including a teacher and a Really Smart Dude, we figure she's going to be okay in that department. I can't find anything about the long-term social/maturity difference in kids who start earlier vs. later. So, thanks a lot, research! I'm still on the fence.
Registration for both preschool and kindergarten start next month, so we have a few more weeks to decide. What to do??
Tough decision! I just had a quick comment- you mentioned her current preschool director wanting her to stay there for another year. You wrote she was invested because you pay for her daughter to attend preschool. Well, my opinion (as if you were really wanting it!!) is that surely the next year other students would be enrolled and taking K's place, thus still giving the director tutition. Hopefully her suggestions come from an honest place and she wants what is best for your daughter! (and you probably were joking anyways...) Not saying you shouldn't go ahead and put her in Kindergarten, but that was my immediate reaction to that comment! Good luck with your decision!! :)
ReplyDeleteSuch a tough decision. Our SD's cut off date is Sept 1. My son should start when he's 5. And eventhough, he's only 2.5, I am already thinking about whether he'll be ready or not. But you know in your heart you will do the right thing!
ReplyDeleteI just went through a similar decision with my daughter and am also a Kindergarten teacher. Born in May, she is perfectly age-appropriate for kindergarten and ready in every way. My choice surrounded keeping her at the Montessori preschool she loves for her K year or sending her to the public school, where she end up eventually. We've decided to keep her at her preschool for a number of reason, largest of all- Mommy wasn't ready for the big school. I'm wondering if some sort of option might exist for you too. Could you sign her up for private K, at her current school or another one and then make the decision at the end of the year if she's ready to move on to first grade? If she were changing schools anyway, it wouldn't be real obvious to her that she was being "retained" if that's what you felt she needed. If she is ready, than plop her right into first grade at that point. A year from now the correct choice might seem obvious.
ReplyDeleteIf that's not an option, I think I would err on the side of giving her an extra year. I don't think there's any way it could hurt a child so young. She'd just be extra ready.
I found you through No Time for Flash Cards...
ReplyDeleteI am having this same struggle with my son. I still have another year to decide though. The cut off here is Sept 1st and his birthday is mid-August. So he will be one of the youngest in his class. I do preschool with him at home currently so I know academics shouldn't be too much of the problem. Like you said a lot of it is the social/maturity aspects. If you find anything on that, let me know. Thanks
As a complete stranger with no invested interest, (and a former kindergarten teacher myself), I can honestly say I have NEVER met anyone who regretted (short term or long term) waiting to send their little ones who were so close to the cut off date. But I have known MANY who wished they had waited. (especially long term). I have no research to back that up, just anecdotal evidence. So I am sure that isn't much help. :) That being said, I have known kids who went early and were just fine. As you know, kindergarten standards have become so developmentally INAPPROPRIATE, so even kids solidly 5 struggle with the expectations. Good luck! We struggled whether to even send our oldest to kindergarten at all last year and seriously considered homeschooling. We made it a matter of prayer and turned it over to the Lord and received a very clear answer to our prayers. I don't envy the next few weeks. It is a stressful time.
ReplyDeleteI know I'm kinda late in giving my opinion but here goes...
ReplyDeleteI don't think one decision over the other will have any detrimental affects on Keira. She is a bright girl and will adjust to the situation either way. And remember how much they change in six months! Keira could be the most mature person in her preschool class six months from now, you never know.
As a former K teacher, I saw kids who came in at four that were more than ready and some that were retained and in K at six years old who still weren't "mature" enough, or in other cases, kids who started out with major social issues but were the most well-adjusted by the end of the year. There's just never any way to tell what will happen. You could always register her now and decide whether to actually send her when it gets closer. Have you considered skipping K altogether? I had a student come in as a first grader who never attended Kinder and though I was worried at how she'd adjust initially, she jumped right into it and did wonderful all year.
Regardless, your adorable little Keira will fit into any class whether it's this year or next, and if she ever does have any "issues" she will have her awesome, understanding, supportive parents to help her through it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you and I live parallel lives. Holy moly, we're struggling with these exact same issues (which makes sense given that our eldest babies were born the same month). We live in Colorado and our cut off date is 9-15 and Sophia turns 5 on 10-31, so a mere six weeks after the cut off (and if we lived in CA where I was raised, she'd be eligible). She's a very bright kid ... not reading or writing on her own yet but she recognizes letters and knows what letters make what sounds and has an insane vocabulary and is an eager learner and is good at counting and simple math. She's super outgoing and makes friends readily and is at ease in new situations immediately so I really don't think she'll have any trouble adapting (but then I worry if this is my Mom Vision clouding my judgement). But that ever present question is in the back of our heads ... are we pushing her ... everyone we talk to says to wait the extra year. Are we doing her a service or disservice if we start her early? Argh, what is best? And not that it should weigh too heavily in our decision, but something we definitely consider, is her height. She's huge; 45 inches tall ... if she waits an extra year to start she will be the giant amongst a class of newly five year olds ... as it is, she'll probably be the tallest kid if she starts this year being not quite five. That's fine now but this is going to be her peer group during her educational career (and be her social circle)... is she going to get the same title that a fellow classmate of mine had when we were in school; "Too Tall"? Will she always feel like a giant that none of the boys want to dance with at school?
ReplyDeleteYet your point about her being a fresh teenager amongst 18 year old men is a point my Assistant Principal friend pointed out too; she said it's something most parents never consider. Yet she was the one who also said she'd go ahead and start her and have her repeat Kindergarten if she wasn't ready afterall because if nothing else, it would be good practice for the next year.
So I feel your pain sista! The upside for us is that we have to apply to have her considered for early evaluation and it is up to the evaluators to decide whether she could start this year or not ... so if they say she's not ready the answer is done. But if they say she is, then we'll have to decide if we're really ready to go through with it and have her start.
I'm so glad you blogged about this topic! I'll read the articles to which you provided links and will be curious to see what route you finally settle on. Good luck!
Kirsten
I say start her "early"! I was 17 when I graduated and it was kind of awesome.
ReplyDeleteSo long as Keira is mentally up to the task, the maturity will come with time. I was a "sensitive" kid and even though I had some minor freakouts at school, I ended up pretty well adju--- on second thought, don't listen to me. I'm not normal at all. ;)