
...turned FIVE! How crazy is that?
In the, oh, three months she spent counting down to her birthday, Kiwi talked like she was going to wake up a foot taller and looking like a grown-up on her 5th birthday, which thankfully didn't turn out to be the case. Since she was putting so much stock in this huge October 2nd transformation, though, I decided I may as well cash it in for a few benefits of my own. I'd drop casual comments like, "You know, 5-year-olds put their shoes away as soon as they take them off. That way, they can always find them when it's time to leave" or "Five-year-olds don't whine when they want something...they just ask nicely and say 'Maybe next time' when the answer is no." Hey, it's almost three months until Christmas and a little early to bust out the "Santa's watching" deal. (We've actually never used the Santa Threat before, mostly because it seems to clash with our whole anti-materialism stance on the holidays, but it's definitely there on reserve if we ever decide to activate it!)
It's been a while since my last post, so here are some photos of what 5-year-olds (namely ours) have been up to lately...
They learn to skate:
(And apparently develop demon eyes in the process...oops.)
Those photos were from my school's Skate Night, where Kiwi put on roller skates for the first time ever, and spent the first few minutes with her arms wrapped around my waist, clinging for dear life. By the end of the night, she was skating--well, okay, stepping--around on the carpet, and she told me, "Now I don't really need you anymore, Mommy, but don't worry! I'll still live with you, anyway." Whew! We'll have to go back again soon and get her out on the rink!
Five-year-olds have Angry Birds birthday parties, complete with a piggy pinata:
The signs on her cake said, "
Here's what some of the balloons looked like (again, I forgot to take a good pic of what it looked like once they were all up):

Five-year-olds get LOTS of awesome cards and gifts!
They go to John's Incredible Pizza and learn how to punch ducks??
They are excellent virtual bowlers...
...and get even more cards and gifts there!
What mommies apparently don't do is take very good (or very many) pictures lately, so I'm going to have to work on that!
Kiwi's been having a blast playing with all of her new toys, which include lots of Big Girl/Crafty things like Shrinky-Dinks, beginner needlepoint kits, a sewing kit, Plah-Doh, a Make Your Own Books kit, a Tinkerbell art set, and an adorable art apron. She also got lots of fun, active gifts like a camping set, a tent, walkie talkies, a kids' digital camera, an indoor hopskotch game, and a Hello Kitty cruise ship...and when she's all worn out, she gets to snuggle up with her cozy new princess blanket and read some of her new Fancy Nancy and Pinkalicious books. Five year olds are very, very lucky!
Crissy honey, I can't imagine what it's like to grow up knowing that you are the light of the world to the two most important people in your life, your mom and dad. THAT is the most important job a parent can do, and if that was the only one they did really well, they would have mentally healthy, stable, well adjusted adults when the kids grew up. You and Greg have it all sewed up. I can't tell you how much I admire your parenting. Kids are what matters and you both totally get that.
ReplyDeleteI love you!! AND I totally admire you as a person. I also miss you, but that's another story. lol. Love you, honey.
Her hair was so dark when she was born! I also love her face in the pic where she got the Angry Birds game. Silas has also been pining for that game.
ReplyDelete