Saturday, February 11, 2012

Little St-ARRRRRRs

Last fall, I got this bright idea that it would be cool for the girls to have a stage in one corner of the playroom. For about a week or so, I deluded myself into thinking this was something I could totally DIY: I'd just get a pallet somewhere, buy some plywood at Home Depot and have them cut it to size for me, and nail it on top. A little carpet over the whole thing would seal the deal.

For someone with ANY woodworking experience whatsoever, this would probably have been pretty feasible. It may even have been feasible for me. But the more I thought about it, the more I saw a potential disaster in the making (what if it wasn't as easy as I imagined?), and so I decided to consult Uncle Nicholas for a reality check. His response: "I can build that in, like, 20 minutes. When do you want me to come over?"

Sweet.

So a few days after Christmas, he came over and built the stage. I relocated the girls' dress-up clothes from a trunk in Keira's room to the big cabinet in the playroom, so they'd have costumes and props nearby, and ta-da! Two stars were born.

Here's one of the little plays they recently performed for me. Prop. 8 proponents, be forewarned: this performance includes references to an incestuous lesbian pirate wedding!



Since then, he also added some spare carpeting he found in my parents' old shed, which happens to match our existing carpet pretty well, so the finished product looks pretty impressive now. Thanks, Uncle Nicholas, for saving me loads of time (and from potentially nailing my thumb to a piece of plywood). The girls love their new stage!

1 comment:

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!