October 30, 2011
Just spent the better part of an hour cleaning out loads of tiny junk from all the boxes, bags, and baskets Keira had stashed under her bed. If it were up to me, I'd have tossed it all (eco guilt and all) but she was there pleading her case for why each item is Very Important and Special. Bear said we're getting her a pretty pink Dumpster for Christmas.
October 31, 2011
Got up über-early (for a day off, anyway) to go run a few errands before Bear goes to work, but then remembered Ellie has fine-tuned her brain to wake up screaming the INSTANT our garage door opens. Looks like I'm house-bound until the girls wake up on their own!
November 7, 2011
This is the fake "nice attitude" smile Elliana pastes on her face when we tell her to uncross her arms & lose her 'tude. Love it.

November 14, 2011
Ellie made me a Lego skyscraper. When I asked if she & I could go to the top & have dinner together, she looked at me blankly & said, "It's made out of Legos."
November 15, 2011
This weekend, Keira very sweetly told my mom, "When my mom is talking, you think you're the boss of me, but you're not. In your mind, you might THINK you are...but you're really not." We left my parents with those words, Cinnamon Toast Crunch on their carpet, and some of Ellie's cough and cold germs, and then bailed for home. Who wants to invite us over next?? ;)
November 16, 2011
How two is she, you ask? So two that this Ultimate Pout is over not wanting to go over the bump we went over ten minutes ago. "I DON WIKE DAT BUMP!!"
November 16, 2011
Is it wrong that I love Keira a little extra when she's belting out NKOTB from the back seat? Probably. I don't care. She does a mean "Moves Like Jagger," too!
November 20, 2011
Overheard while the girls were playing Barbies: "Happy birthday, Jessica! Where are your legs?"
November 29, 2011
The girls just used "a mac and chee" as the singular form of "mac and cheese." As in, "Here you go--you dropped a mac and chee." I am in love with this term.
Now they've constructed a choo choo train out of pillows and a lawn chair. I'm way too amused by my own children tonight.
December 3, 2011
"It's a bwoken house! I fink da wind bwowed all da power out." -Ellie, trying light switches during a power outage. Hope it doesn't last long!
December 6, 2011
The girls love opening a door to our Christmas countdown calendar every morning to find a treat and a note inside. I love that I can hear Keira read the note aloud to Ellie: "Tonight we will roast marshmallows on the stove. Yum!" So proud of our little reader!
December 11, 2011
Me before going to a white elephant exchange today: "Are you seriously willing to be seen buying a Justin Bieber calendar just to inflict it on someone tonight?" Bear: "I'll buy it at WalMart. There's no shame there anyway."
December 17, 2011
I opened an amazon box last night that happened to be addressed to Bear...and contain my Christmas present. Oops! Bear says that's because I've been getting so many amazon deliveries lately that I think "amazon" is synonymous with my name. He said I can wrap it myself as penance. ;)
December 20, 2011
PJ Run!
December 21, 2011
If I were good at Photoshop, I'd make a pie chart showing how much of the past 2 days I've spent in bathrooms with Ells. It'd be a pretty big slice!
December 25, 2011
We had a perfect Christmas morning here at home, and an awesome night at my "little" brother's house. Keira gleefully wore her new skates all day today, Ellie has mastered the potty, I got an awesome new camera and lots of smiles and coos from baby Cassidy, and I do believe Bear was positively jolly all evening as he reveled in good beer and football. Well done, Santa.
December 26, 2011
Now that they're out of the closet...my baby brother proposed to his girlfriend on Christmas morning and it's time to start planning a wedding!! He let her think she was getting a puppy, but she opened her eyes to see him kneeling with a ring instead. Well done, little bro! So excited for them I can hardly stand it...now I'll have TWO awesome sisters-in-law!
December 30, 2011
Keira: "Mom, I'm gonna make a zipper for your mouth so maybe you would be a little bit quieter." Because we all know how loud I am, and what a quiet little mouse she is!
December 31, 2011
Keira likes to say completely nonsensical things with total confidence. She just came into the bathroom and declared, "Mom, you're going potty because so you can give 55 bucks to the people across the street so they can go out and buy cookies." Um...what.
January 2, 2012
Forget flowers and jewelry; Bear knows that the way to my heart is programming the DVR to record "The Bachelor" for me, without being asked. Now THAT is love.
January 6, 2012
Realization: I need to get a lot tougher about seeing my husband hooked up to monitors and tubes before we get old. Between that and the oral surgeon's description of what removing his most Gnarly Rogue wisdom tooth would entail (bone removal, nerve damage, facial numbness, bone graft or gaping hole in his gums for over a month...), I almost passed out at his appointment this morning. He decided to leave Gnarly Rogue tooth in for now and just do the other three, thank goodness! Poor boy is having Vicodin dreams in bed now.
January 8, 2012
Keira, wearing only underwear and socks: "Dad, do you want to play cards with me?"
Bear: " If we were playing strip poker, I'd be winning already."
January 10, 2012
Keira is in bed with a flashlight, reading her Pinkalicious books aloud quietly. I took a photo but am too lazy to start up the desktop PC and upload it. Her little face in the glow of the flashlight, and her little reading voice (she uses this soft, baby voice), make me want to just gobble her up. Love that kid!
January 14, 2012
When I got up this morning, Ellie told me, "Mommy, I adore you." I'd like to thank Fancy Nancy books for making that moment possible.
January 15, 2012
Kiwi's wearing jeans! Gma asked her on the phone if she looks cute & Kiwi said,deadpan, "Of course I do. I always look cute."
January 19, 2012
Keira: "What's this?"
Me: "It's a toucan."
Keira: "Oh. But really it's a ONE-can because it's by itself!"
She'll be here all week, folks.
January 30, 2012
I was in the living room this morning and heard John Mayer coming from the master bedroom where Bear was taking a shower. It turned out that I had forgotten to shut off my ancient clock radio alarm when I got up, and that my husband was NOT, in fact, rocking out to John Mayer in the shower. Whew.
January 31, 2012
"Mommy, I'll stay up here so you don't vacuum me up." Ellie is a small human...but not quite that small!
February 3, 2012
Tonight I told Ellie, for the billionth time, how delicious she is. I asked if I could eat her up, and she exclaimed cheerfully, "Only if you have a spoon!"
February 4, 2012
Firstborn reading to her little sister? I think this is the definition of a kvelling moment.
February 5, 2012
Keira, from the bedroom where the girls are playing: "MOMMMYYYY! ELLIE'S NOSE IS RUNNNINNNG!"
Ellie, chiming in: "LIKE A FAWWWWCET!"
February 7, 2012
Baking muffins with Ellie. After she licked the spoon, she looked for the bowl of batter & asked, "Mommy, where's something for me to get this all yummy again?"
February 9, 2012
Keira, crawling into bed with me this morning: "Mom? I'm VERY sorry to have to tell you this, but...you look kind of funny with the pillow over your head like that."
February 11, 2012
Whenever Ellie wants me to lean down so she can whisper something in my ear, she puts her lips right against my ear and starts off her "secret" by whispering the words, "Whisper whisper." This morning, it was, "Whisper whisper, I want a cake and cupcakes and...balloons and cupcakes and a cake at my birfday."
February 12, 2012
Me: "Lots of pizza guys out tonight."
Keira: "Everyone's just walking around their houses naked, wishing for pizza!"
We're off to the movies & the girls are off for a walk with Grandma. Apparently Ellie feels you can't be too careful when Grandma's driving the wagon!
February 13, 2012
Now that Ellie's ladybug bedroom is finished (as of last year), she wants a Fancy Nancy room like Sissy's & hates the ladybug theme I chose. I told Bear mayyybe I could put the ladybug decor in the girls' monkey bathroom and (ugh) redo Ellie's room, but that I'd like to do Ellie's room in something SHE loves. Ellie loves Curious George...but then I'd basically be exchanging the monkey themed bathroom with the ladybug bedroom. Bear's reply: "Let's just have her sleep in the bathroom." Problem solved!!
February 14, 2012
I asked Ellie-Bug if she'll be my Valentine, and she said, "No! Because then you won't have a Bugga-Bug!" Fair enough, kid.
February 18, 2012
"Mom? You know, if I collected all the balloons from my entire life, I could probably fly." -Keira
February 22, 2012
I wonder if buying Keira days of the week underwear the other day is going to result in unnecessary pressure on my laundry schedule.
February 25, 2012
When I tucked Keira in tonight, she closed her eyes and pushed on her eyelids with her fingers, and said, "I can't see you, Mom. All I can see are other people. And kings." Bear thinks she may be on mushrooms or something. I never see other people OR kings when I push on my eyelids. Guess I'm missing out.
February 26, 2012
Us with my siblings and their families:
February 28, 2012
Ellie murmurs the sweetest things when I rock her at bedtime. Tonight she said, "Daddy is my favorite boy," and "Sissy is my favorite girl...I love her all the way up to my ladybugs" (whatever that means), and "I'm so happy to have my family." I also happen to be her favorite Mommy--take that, Other Mommies!
March 1, 2012
So last night I decided to be clever and create a steam room for poor, congested Keira. I had her take a warm shower, and put a flat cardboard box over the top of our shower stall to keep the steam inside. This worked GREAT...until about 10 minutes in, when the "roof" fell in and scared the ever-loving bejeezus out of the child. Oops.
March 3, 2012
Dear Ellie: When trying to get past me,"Excuse me, Mommy" is preferable to, "Mommy, your butt is too big!" Sincerely, Mommy
March 12, 2012
The girls are playing Rummikub with my grandparents, and Ellie just told my great-uncle Richie, "My house, MY RULES!!" Too bad we're not actually at our house.
Here she is, packing her Angry Eyes:
March 13, 2012
Me: "My mom is campaigning to get Ellie a $300 battery-powered car for her birthday."
Bear: "Spray your mom with water and firmly tell her NO."
March 19, 2012
Paging Ms. Tooth Fairy! Keira has something for you...again! ("Dear Tooth Fairy, my tooth came out today. I am so excited! Love, Keira")
First there was, "You dropped a mac & chee." Now there is, "Mommy, can I have a Twick?" (holds up a single Twix). Love these girls' grammar inventions!
March 25, 2012
Sometimes I think I have boys trapped in girls' bodies. Ellie just made a snowman, flipped it over, drew a circle, gave an evil giggle, & said, "I made a butt!"
March 26, 2012
Kiwi and me going down the huge slide at the carnival on my birthday:
March 29, 2012
So yesterday Keira got mad at me and tried to insult me by saying I'll "never be ready to teach third grade" (thinking, I guess, that teachers move up every year like kids). She should stick to accidental insults, like when she later asked me if I ever saw any pteranodons when I was a little girl.
March 31, 2012
Waiting for Shrinky-Dinks to come out of the oven. If the Shrinkies were alive, they'd be cracking up at the girls' smashed noses against the glass!
April 1, 2012
Ellie keeps waking up in the 6am hour and then being a Shrieky McFussypants all day long because she's tired. Good thing she still throws in moments like using a mini rice cake as a pretend steering wheel in her car seat (a much cuter version of Maggie in the opening credits of "The Simpsons") so I remember she's still stinking adorable.
April 2, 2012
Keira is becoming a monkey bar master! She made it across 9 bars today--that's a personal best. Love her determination!
April 10, 2012
Elliana, out of nowhere: "Speaking of Grandma's house...where IS Grandma's house?"
Me, laughing: "We weren't speaking of Grandma's house, but it's that way, and you're wicked cute!"
Ellie: "Speaking of wicked cute...what's wicked cute?"
Things that would be alarming to hear if it weren't right after Easter: "Mommy? Can I have another bunny head?"
April 12, 2012
Today both girls wept when I left for work. While I was gone, Keira made a video telling me she missed me. When I got home and changed, Ellie told me very seriously, "You look pretty in those jammies." I guess that cancels out a few of the times Ellie hid when I came to pick them up from Grandma's...and maybe that time she burst into tears and told me she wished I would stay at work. Mayyybe.
April 16, 2012
We recently realized that Ellie thinks her privates are called her "rash," probably because when she wore diapers, we'd put cream "on her rash." Imagine her confusion, then, when my great uncle Richie mentioned he had a rash on his knee. She kept looking at his knee, frowning, and then declaring, "THAT'S not your RASH!" It cracks me up every time I think of it, now that we've figured out why she was so alarmed. Poor child.
April 16, 2012
On April 16, 1997, Bear and I went on our first date. Little did we know that 15 years later, we'd be telling our daughters how we met working at a video rental store...and explaining to them what a "video rental store" is. Happy Bear-niversary to us!
April 24, 2012
I'm not a parselmouth...can someone tell this guy to kindly vacate my front yard at his earliessssssssssst convenienccccccce?
April 26, 2012
In my 5.5 years of parenting, I've been woken up many, many (many...many) times during the night, but never by a child turning on our bedroom light at 3:30am and announcing that she just had a dream about a crocodile. Congratulations, Ellie--you're a true pioneer!
April 27, 2012
I guess there will probably come a day when it's no longer appropriate for me to sing my "She's got a tiny little hiney and a cutie little bootie" song whenever Ellie gets undressed. It'll be a sad, sad day.
April 29, 2012
Keira saw Bear with his shirt off tonight and gave him the third degree about his chest hair. Finally, she concluded, "I don't know if this is nice or mean...but, I think it makes you look tough."
***********************
Wow--hopefully the hour it just took me to copy and paste all of those will serve as a reminder to me that I need to do this weekly, not twice a year!












No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!