
Keira's addicted to the PBS show "Super Why," which is about superhero kids who fly into books and solve the characters' problems by changing the words in the story.
For example, Cinderella's slipper is hurting her foot, so Whyatt suggests she take it off; she replies, "But I have to wear it. It's in my story. See? Cinderella wears a glass slipper." And then Whyatt and his friends change the word "glass" to "soft" and save poor Cinderella's aching feet. It's cute, teaches a ton of reading and spelling skills, and even Bear and I like to watch it with the girls.
Lately, Keira has gotten smart(er) and decided to use lines from the show to her advantage. Cue the following conversation in our back yard while Keira was on the swings:
Me: "Kiwi, don't drag your feet--you need to pump your legs to keep going."
Keira: "But I have to, Mom. It's in my story! See? Keira drags her feet and then makes Mommy push her some more."
It's pretty funny, actually, and I think I'm going to start using it, too:
"But I can't clean the house. It's in my story! See? Mommy lays on the couch sipping Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper and watching reality TV."
Pretty convenient, no?
I noticed that you are also already taking some lines from the show - "Cue the following conversation in our backyard..." immediately made me think of "Cue the sparkles, cue the music..."
ReplyDeleteSilas likes Super Why too and I'm pretty sure he learned most of his ABC's from it, though some of their phonics "mistakes" do drive me crazy..."r" does not make the sound "er" Princess Presto unless it is controlled by a vowel!!!
That's hilarious! Madison and Henry both love Super Why and it's how Madison learned her ABCs..because of the little piggy. Keira is one smart cookie!
ReplyDeleteoh that show is a big hit here too! =)
ReplyDeleteMe: B this playroom is a mess. What are we going to do about it?
B: I know. We'll jump into a book.
=)