Sunday, October 3, 2010

That Mommy Is Tired

A little over a week ago, I proclaimed that I "definitely need a spa day." What's happened since then has nudged me into the category of "calling for a spa day like a Nazgul calling for the Ring." Between major school drama (including the students I mentioned in this post moving to other teachers under separate circumstances, both of which I could vent about for quite some time...but won't), three birthday celebrations for Keira, and a trip to Disneyland, this week has had its share of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Since Keira's birthday was yesterday, I took cupcakes to her preschool on Thursday. All of her friends called me "That Mommy" or "Keira's Mommy" the whole time, which I decided to file under Cute rather than under Total Loss of Personal Identity.

Here's the birthday girl in her special crown and her A-A-Apron, which she wore in honor of the letter of the week:


The good: I got to see Keira lead the Pledge of Allegiance, watch her revel in her position as Line Leader for the day, and hear from her teacher all about how the other teachers stop by her classroom just to ask Keira to spell words so they can marvel at her brilliance. Music to a teacher-mommy's ears!

The bad: Since I had a drama-filled meeting to attend at school that morning, I was that mommy who didn't have time to make homemade cupcakes and felt slightly guilty about it...and when it came time to pass out the treats, I totally became that mommy who dropped the entire tray on the floor. Fortunately, enough cupcakes survived for all of the kids, and I'm sure they enjoyed their Toy Story cupcakes full of artificial ingredients far more than they would've liked my homemade version, anyway!

That night, we got visited by some ugly! This is the tarantula we found in our driveway, which was transported via Tupperware container (upside-down over a piece of cardboard) back to the forest area at the end of our street by...yours truly. I'm rather proud of my cameo as That Mommy Who is Not at All Freaked Out By Huge, Creepy, Nightmare-Inducing Creatures, even though it resulted from my own guilt over having the last one unnecessarily terminated by Bear.


Yesterday, we hit Disneyland for Keira's actual birthday. It also turned out to be Gay Day at the Magic Kingdom, which was pretty awesome. Surrounded by unreasonably attractive, fit young men--is it okay to stereotype if it's a positive one? And, where are all the overweight, unattractive gay men?--in red shirts, we spent the day reading message tees with phrases like "He's Gay" (with arrows pointing at each other) and "Gay Marriage is Straight People's Fault...They Keep Having All the Gay Babies." It was 90+ degrees and raining off and on, which was all kinds of bad, but it didn't bother the birthday girl...


...or her sister:


So here it is, Sunday, and I am 100% That Mommy Who Desperately Wants a Drinky-Drink and a Nap...but right now, I'll settle for being That Mommy With the Adorable Family:



Happy 4th Birthday, Kiwi!

4 comments:

  1. ok that spider is enough for me to call it a day! holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silas sends his birthday wishes to Keira and I have to say that I absolutely love Ellie's pigtails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you need a spa day just based on that hairy spider!!! EEEEEEK I can't believe you had the wherewithall to stop and take a picture--I would have just screamed and peed my pants. LOL Excellent role model for dealing with high stress situations!

    Those message t-shirts are hilarious--esp the one about gay marriage being straight peoples' faults. So funny!

    happy birthday to Keira!! And I hope you get your spa day soon, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was ThatMommyWhoDroppedTheCupcakes in Elisa's Kindergarten class. I worship the teacher who handled it (and me) exactly as I would, by picking up the cupcakes and scraping off the top layer of icing before handing them to the kids! Crystal, I'm sorry to say that title will follow you forever :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!