Saturday, January 29, 2011

"You don't have to like it."

And this from the "Things I Said to My Kid That Came Back to Bite Me" department...

Kiwi's a reluctant eater at mealtimes, so one of the things I've started saying when she busts out with the "But I don't liiiiiiiiike [insert food here]" whine is, "That's okay! You don't have to like it--you just need to eat it." I use my best Kindergarten Teacher/Mary Poppins voice when I say it, which is probably extra-annoying, too.

So the other day, we're driving to preschool and we pass a Burger King. Keira says, "Mom, you and Daddy should take me to Burger King one of these days, because they have SpongeBob Squarepants water toys there!" (Note to self: no good can come of venturing from commerical-free PBS Kids.)

I said, "Ehh, I don't know about that, Sweetie. Mommy doesn't really like Burger King."

Her reply, of course: "Well, you don't have to like it, Mom. You just have to take me there!"

Boo-yah. I got told by a four-year-old.

It's good wisdom, though, really, and I've been trying to take it to heart when it comes to summoning the willpower to do Jillian Michaels' "30-Day Shred" DVD every day. I've never, ever stuck to a workout or diet regimen before, and part of the reason is that it's hard for me...and when something is hard for me, for some reason I assume that it's ONLY hard for me, and that it's a breeze for all those people who get up before dawn to go running and then survive on salad all day long. But the other day, I ran across this quote:

"Being overweight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining a healthy weight is hard. Choose your hard."

And for some reason, combined with the "You don't have to like it" mantra, something occurred to me that should have been pretty obvious all along: nobody likes working out. Nobody takes great joy out of opting for healthy foods in the face of cookies, brownies, or Del Taco. (Okay, I'm sure a few people do, but they're definitely the minority!) Those people I see out jogging every day, or the teachers who don't eat five bite-size Twix during a one-hour meeting just because they're sitting there (ahem...), don't enjoy it any more than I do. It's not easier for them than it is for me.

They just do it anyway. And so can I.

"You don't have to like it" and "Choose your hard" have turned out to be really handy phrases in all sorts of situations. Bear's sister has declared 2011 "The Year of the BGP (Big-Girl Panties)" for her, and that's another good one for self-motivation. My life isn't particularly difficult, and we here at the Bears' Den have a ton to be grateful for, but sometimes, like Kiwi at the dinner table, I just need a little coaxing to do the things I know I should do.

Does this mean I won't be face-first in a piece of ice cream cake tonight when my family comes over? No way. I do have to like ice cream cake. Turning down ice cream cake is hard. I'll totally wear my big-girl panties while I'm eating it, though, and Jillian will make me pay double for it tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Keira is way too smart for her own good!

    As for your 30 day shred goals, take it from someone who is also working on weight loss this year (baby weight and then some), while I hate working out as much as the next guy, I know that the best way to make a commitment is to find the one exercise routine that you can live with. The first time I did the shred I realized that I HATED IT and there was no way that I could motivate myself to do it everyday. I tried walking everyday but couldn't motivate myself to leave the house to do it. I did love when I had a gym membership and could use the elliptical machine, but hated going to the gym itself, so I invested in an elliptical machine for home and so far I have been using it five times a week. I'm not saying to go out and spend a bunch of money on gym equipment or memberships, but to find the exercise routine that's best for you.

    With that being said, I think you look great the way you are Crystal so enjoy that ice cream cake guilt free. I know I would!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I know that you're "excited" about your exercise goals but why'd you have to go and motivate me in the process?

    Not fair!

    Now I'm going to have to put a chain on my bike and go for a ride, pass up candy when I really want it, and *gasp* go to the gym when I'd rather sleep.

    How could you? I thought we were friends. :(

    On a side note-- "Choose Your Hard" and "You Don't Have to Like it" are going on my fridge and my forehead for the next few months. They might just be the single best motivational mantra I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I've been trying to run out of peer pressure, and it is NOT my favorite, but you are right...I should just suck it up and do it..Good luck to you, and I like your writing style.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!