Tuesday was our back-to-school staff meeting, where the icebreaker question during introductions was, "If you could be a roadie or groupie for any band/singer, who would it be?" I considered giving a generally acceptable response like Jason Mraz or Chris Isaak, especially since I'm the only new teacher on campus and I'm sure everyone is sizing me up, but I decided to go ahead and out myself--get it out of the way, right? I said, "Okay, don't judge me--even though I know you will--but a while ago I got talked into going to a New Kids on the Block concert...[people started chuckling]...and then I didn't have to be talked into the ones after that." Much laughter ensued. That's okay, though--more Jordan Knight for me! I'll just have to make it a point to make Intelligent Film References and carry around Important Books for a few weeks so people don't think I'm a complete idiot...at least, until I inevitably let a "Bachelor Pad" reference slip. (Does it matter that I know I should be embarrassed by these things??)
Wednesday was the first day of school, and I met our 31 second-graders. My favorite introduction was when I called a boy by his full name, and he told me with a grin, "I go by Nick*...nobody calls me Nicholas unless I'm in BIIIG trouble!" (*names have been changed to protect the adorable) Our class looks like a pretty spirited bunch--teachers will know this is code for "Are you sure I can't use just a little bit of duct tape over their mouths?"--but they're sweet kids, and I can't wait to get to know them better.
My partner and I were both there Wednesday and Thursday, and also for Parent Information Night on Thursday evening, but even though we were able to divide up a lot of the endless talking that goes on at the beginning of a school year (explaining rules, procedures, giving introductions, doing two sessions of presentations for the parents, etc.), by Friday night I felt like I had used up about a year's worth of words and should spend the weekend in a monastery or something!
Saturday was the baby shower for my baby brother's baby. Eeeeeek! My brother is 6 years younger than I am, and it seriously trips me out how vividly I can remember the chh-chh-chh sound his diaper made as he toddled around, and the little Osh Kosh B'Gosh overalls he wore, and the My Buddy doll he toted around everywhere...and now he's going to be somebody's father (and somebody's stepfather, and somebody's husband, and a homeowner). It's sheer craziness! My mom and I co-hosted the shower, which had a "sweet baby girl" theme with lots of chocolates and candies. Here are the decorations (I don't know why the lanterns look red, but they were pink) and the banner I made:
Like at my sister's shower, we played gift-opening BINGO...
...and filled out little prediction cards for the baby book...
...and decorated bibs with fabric paint, although I somehow don't have a picture of that. I totally refrained from making a "New Kid on the Block" or "Step by Step" bib for my first niece. (You're welcome, bro!) I did, however, make one that said "Yer talkin' gibberish," because he and I love to quote That Thing You Do! (which is an awesome movie, although I realize you may not believe that based on my taste in music and television).
We also played this candy bar name game, which I stole from my friend Lisa and turned out to be really fun. Basically, what I'm saying here is that my mom and the guest of honor did all the hard work (the mom-to-be is a chef and baked cupcakes, made ice cream dessert, and did handmade chocolate lollipops for favors), while I swiped ideas from the last shower I hosted and the one my friend just threw. Creativity isn't my forte, but hijacking and recycling ideas from others? That I can do!
Sunday was Bear's and my 7-year wedding anniversary, so our friends watched the girls for a couple of hours while we went out to dinner. Turns out, after seven years of marriage and 14 years together, we still have plenty to talk about--probably because we usually can't fit a word in edgewise around Little Miss Chatterbox and her sister, Lady Shriekypants (we are soooo two years old this week)! This Wednesday, we're going to make our annual pilgrimage back to the lakeside restaurant where we got married and take our family photo under the arch...I can't wait! Then it'll be time to pack and get ready for the Two Bittles and a Kitty Road Trip, which begins bright and early Saturday morning.
Whew!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!