I didn't list "get better at living in the moment" on my epic list of 2012 Resolutions/To-Do's because, well, the list was already epic. Plus, this is something I've been chipping away at for a while now, and it's probably one of those things that I'll always have to make a conscious effort to do, because my inner John Dorian (from "Scrubs") is constantly pulling my brain in a million directions at any given time. (I'd love to look like Elliot Reid, but J.D.'s thinking face is probably a lot more accurate.)

Lately, though, it's been easy to really sit back and enjoy the girls. They're both at such great ages: Keira is becoming such a sweet big sister, who, even when it's "her" day, will pick the green sippy cup because she knows Ellie wants the pink one. Ellie is, despite her shrieky, stompy two-ishness, probably the cutest thing we've ever seen since Keira was 2 1/2 (at which time we declared her, as we declare Ellie now, to have "maxed out" on adorability...she simply can't get any cuter than this. Can she?!). Thanks to my cushy part-time teaching schedule, we have time for play dates and stay-home-in-jammies days, and I don't have much take-home work obstructing my view of the preciousness. For instance...
On the way home from the store the other day, we drove past these horses in a field. They were right next to the fence, and so I pulled over on the shoulder and we got out to pet this gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous black one that Keira named Beauty (no, she's never heard of the book...but LOOK at this guy!). I was never one of those girls who were obsessed with horses, and, on the few occasions I've gone horseback riding, have felt more guilt than enjoyment (why am I, with two perfectly functional legs, sitting on top of this poor animal and making it carry me??), but this horse made me want one:

The girls loved it, and it was one of those moments I almost passed up, but am so glad I didn't!
Here's some other assorted joy that I remembered to capture on film. (Have I mentioned how much I looooove my new camera?)
OK, I have to stop here to mention that this photo shows Keira baking for the first time with her new Easy Bake Oven...and that ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH HOW SMALL THOSE CUPCAKES ARE?! Seriously, it took us a total of 40 minutes to warm up the oven, mix the batter, put it in the pan, bake it, and remove it...and when we did, we had cupcakes that were the exact size and thickness of dimes. I kid you not. Keira, thankfully, was so impressed with herself for making cupcakes "all by herself" that she didn't seem to mind how miniscule they were:
And this? This photo here is entitled When Two-Year-Olds Dress Themselves. Ski cap? Check. Sweatshirt? Check. Jacket? Check. Tights instead of pants? Yuuup. She's ready to play! (It's such a good thing we're not famous and there are no paparazzi lurking behind our fence. Like Kiwi with the cupcakes, Ells was so proud of her accomplishment that we just went with it.)
I love this photo of our little cheeseball. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but Keira is becoming even more of a character as she gets older, and she's constantly cracking us up with her shtick. Here she is, getting ready to demonstrate her roller skating expertise (she really is getting good at skating on carpet...we'll see how that transfers to the rink as soon as we get a chance to take her!):
With kindergarten coming up this year for Keira, and knowing that my jobsharing days are numbered (I've got one more year after this one, and then we'll have to see whether our bank account can swing another 2-year deal), I'm more aware every day that things will probably get more and more hectic before long. While not every moment is 100% perfect (what kind of freaks would we be if they were?!), it's as close as I can imagine it getting. I'm soaking up this stage before it's over!
Love love LOVE it! My face hurts from smiling as I get to go behind the scenes, and not miss these moments! I love you!
ReplyDeleteMom
Your camera must be great, it has added even more cuteness to the normally cute pictures of the girls (as if that's even possible). When I first started reading the post, I thought the first picture was the cutest thing ever, but then as I continued on I realized all the pics were stinkin' cute (especially ski-cap Ellie and roller-girl Keira). And the picture of Ellie trying to touch the horse without actually getting near it, hilarious!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, and stop talking about Kindergarten! I AM SO NOT READY!