Kiwi is a cool kid. I always tell her that it's a good thing I'm her mom, because if she belonged to someone else, I'd have to kidnap her and keep her for myself! Lately, she's been on a super-creative kick and has been whipping up stories and artwork quicker than Ann M. Martin used to crank out Baby-Sitters Club books. (Oh, Baby-Sitters Club. How I loved thee. My poor grandpa used to take me to Crown Books every couple of days--sometimes twice in the same day--to get me new books, and I'd read them in a couple of hours. He'd always say, "Why don't you save me four bucks and just sit right down there in the aisle and read it?" Can't you totally hear me saying the same thing to the girls in a few years?) Here are some of Kiwi's most recent creations.
This was a project at preschool, where they were apparently trying their best to connect the "eggs and candy" aspect of Easter with the story of Jesus. All the kids had to do was decorate their basket and glue on the eggs, along with a little legend the teachers had typed up to explain what each color represents in Christianity. (Here I will skip over any discussion of the Jesusification of Pagan holidays and/or whether the true meaning of Easter has been tarnished by bunnies who deliver pastel eggs filled with chocolates. We here at the Bears' Den celebrate Easter in its secular sense, but at Keira's Christian preschool, they're taught about Jesus' crucification and resurrection, which is fine with us as long as they don't traumatize her in the process. Kiddo has enough stress in her life, what with mommies who watch TV in the living room and all!) In any case, the teacher said Keira noticed a poster in the classroom that had a symbol on each egg, and apparently decided to draw the symbols onto her eggs...so all the other kids did, too. Pretty cute!
She's been big on typing on the computer lately, too. Someday, we'll teach her about the space bar!
"I love you Mom Dad Ellie. There is no ending of the way I love. From Keira."
This one totally impressed me. She spent a day or two drawing all of these dinosaurs, some of the imaginary with names like "Beakasaurus." I like the one that's saying, "Hey, lets go find some ham."
Both girls are really into mermaids lately, and Ellie got several mermaid Barbies that they love to play with in the bathtub. I love the little octopus, and the fact that she spent the time coloring the entire background blue!
Here's a story she wrote yesterday:
"Once upon a time, there was a desert elephant. There was no water for him. He went to his mom and asked, "Where is the water?" and his mom squirted water from her trunk. They had fun. The end."
And another story from yesterday:
"Once upon a time there was a mermaid. She had a purple tail. She had a friend named Magenta. One day, she swam to the bottom of the ocean. She found a new mermaid. She was pretty, and that is how they became triplets. The end."
Her New Thing is carrying around a black-and-white speckled composition notebook, like the one Fancy Nancy uses in Poison Ivy Expert, and writing down what she does all day. She already has a few entries, so maybe one of these days, I'll ask her permission to publish her diaries (if they're not too confidential).
Love that kid!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!