Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve 2009!

"It's almost time!! Mrs. Mommy, TEAR DOWN THIS GATE!!"


It's Christmas Eve! Keira couldn't be more excited that she gets to open the "big door" on the advent calendar tomorrow, and keeps talking about how she's going to give Santa a big hug and a kiss (never mind the fact that she won't go within 20 feet of a department store Santa--apparently she knows the difference between "helper Santas" and the real thing!). Last night at bedtime, she asked if she could go for a ride in Santa's sleigh with him, and promised she'd bring Bear, Elliana, and me with her so we wouldn't miss her while she was gone.

I have fond childhood memories of baking Christmas cookies with my mom and Grandma, so I've tried to start that tradition with Keira, beginning in 2007:
and continuing in 2008 (this was our holiday card photo):

This year, Keira and I donned our matching aprons (courtesy of one of Grandma W's quilting buddies), and we made Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies...




...Tiger Butter (Well, Bear made this himself. Sadly, he did not wear a matching apron)..


...and, of course, Christmas Cutout Cookies.

Note: these are not actual photos of the actual cookies we actually made. The actual cookies we actually made have actually been a) given out as gifts and/or b) consumed greedily. Actually.

Where are the photos of this mother-daughter baking extravaganza, you ask? On the Peaceful Scale, baking with a 3-year-old "helper"--who should really work in Quality Control, because her main objective is to sample every ingredient during every step of the process--whilst keeping a teething 8-month-old occupied with a messy biter biscuit that is being greedily stalked by a hungry pup is a far cry from my pre-mom tradition of watching You've Got Mail while baking the day away solo. It is, however, far more rewarding and much higher on the Cuteness Scale. Unfortunately, it does not leave much opportunity for photo-taking!

If I can squeeze in time today, I still want to make Chocolate Reindeer Cookies and Stained Glass Cookies/Candy (minus the coconut...ew), but I hear that Santa still has a dollhouse to assemble, and I know that Bear and I have some serious wrapping to do before we go to Grandma Marmee and Pop-Pops to gorge ourselves on tamales (what, Jews can't celebrate Noche Buena?), so that may be right up there with flying reindeer on the Realism Scale. Oh, well.

Enough of this scale talk--I've eaten approximately 27,584 calories' worth of cookies in the past week!

Let us close with our family Christmas photo from last year, featuring the Space Needle mysteriously protruding from the top of Bear's head, me looking like an utter dweebface, and Keira...well, you have eyes. Here's hoping we can get a better one of the four of us tomorrow!

Ahhh...how about this year's holiday card instead?


Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!