Tomorrow is Elliana's 1st birthday party, and needless to say, there are ladybugs galore! In fact, even my students are ladybuggin' lately--we're in the midst of a spring theme and the kids are learning all about plants and insects. On Wednesday, one little girl brought in a jar before school and handed it to me: "Look, Mrs. M!" Inside was a clearly dead ladbug, laying motionless on her (his?) back. As I looked at it, she added, "She's playing dead." Ahhhh, I see!
Since she IS an Ellie-Bug and she DOES have a ladybug room (the walls aren't this yellowy-green in person, though)...


...we had no trouble choosing her first birthday party theme. Here's some of the stuff I worked on today (made possible by the fact that neither the girls nor I ever made it out of pajamas, or out of the house).
The "guest book":

I couldn't locate ladybug-patterned balloons in stores, and failed to order any online in advance, so red balloons and Sharpies it is!

Homemade birthday hat (again, failure to plan ahead and order online = shoddy imitation courtesy of Mommy...sorry, Ellie-Bug!):

Ladybug cupcake prototype (only 40 more left to frost!)...when Grandma Marmee asked what flavor the cupcakes are going to be, Keira told her they're "lady flavor":

The banner I made, which I'm actually pretty proud of--two years in kindergarten has given me at least a smidgen of cuteness capability!

Stay tuned for cake-face pics and more ladybug madness after the party tomorrow!
I love the homemade party stuff...hats, balloons, cupcakes, banner...all so adorable! Have a great day! Tell Ellie that Silas says Happy Dertday!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are sooo creative! Come plan my parties! Happy Birthday little Ellie!
ReplyDeleteHomemade party stuff is the best!
ReplyDeleteI hope she has a wonderful first birthday. In a stroke of genius (inspired by your post), I started planning Ally's birthday now (it isn't til June) so that I won't have to scramble to get everything at the last minute...