
Ellie started making her pirate face, growling "Arrr!" and yelling things like, "We're sailing the seven seas!" She must've gotten this stuff from Dora, because I had no idea she even know what a pirate was. Here we are, making our best pirate faces (according to Ellie) at the party:

I figured maybe they'd enjoy a pirate-themed Stay at Home Sunday, so that's what we did last week! First, I grabbed a few pirate books from the library, and we read those in the week leading up to Pirate Day:



The first book was definitely the best, in my Snooty Teachery Book-Snob opinion (you really can't go too wrong with David Shannon), but the girls really preferred the other two (even though the third one had very little plot and the parrot did way too much talking in the second one). While reading these aloud, I realized I am the Joey Tribbiani of accents, because my "pirate voice" always sounded like a southern drawl and/or a Jamaican accent. Oh, well.
Then, I hijacked some ideas from DLTK Kids and this birthday party ideas site (hey, that's what a pirate would do, right??) and we embarked on our little adventure first thing the next morning.
We made pirate hats (there's that pirate face again...it actually looks pretty kissy, doesn't it?):
They had "gold coins," i.e. banana slices and pancakes colored yellow(er), for breakfast. Don't you love my vast repertoire of themed breakfast items? My highly complicated system involves putting food coloring in pancake mix. Revel in my creativity!
We used plastic cups and aluminum foil to make hooks, and the girls hopped aboard the
For lunch, the girls had pirate ship hot dogs (pirates totally put encouraging phrases on their flags, right?):
Keira made a toilet paper roll parrot, and then begged me to rig up some way to keep it on her shoulder. I was only moderately successful:
The beauty of Pirate Day with young kids is that a) they don't notice that your pirate voice is lame, b) they are still totally stoked by a little food coloring in their breakfast, and c) there are no "surrender yer booty" jokes (man, I do miss teaching fifth grade, though).
Thar ye have it, mateys!
Grammy and Grampy LOVE this! We love the pics, and we think that Mommy has some pretty cool ideas. If you weren't already a teacher, we'd suggest you be one! We love you up!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I'm going to have to stop reading your blog because it makes me feel like a lame mom. You are so great with this stuff! I was impressed that you kept the theme going through breakfast AND lunch times. I also love that you worked some "me" time into it as well. Maybe when Laila is old enough to participate, I will be able to do something similar with the kiddos. Then I will be hijacking your ideas. Love this and keep it up!!!
ReplyDelete