Sunday, January 27, 2013

Who Needs Mommy?

The past few weeks have made it clear that I'm well on my way to becoming obsolete already. The girls are picking up new skills and barreling through mini rites of passage like crazy!

First of all, Keira is bucking for my job, big-time. She's practically a teacher and a mom already!

"C'mere, Ellie! I'll button your coat."























She recently mastered how to do the towel turban after her showers, and now she turbans Ellie's hair for her, too. Step aside, Mom. We got this. (Do you love my skilled Photoshopping?)







































You can tell Kiwi is a pro at the big sister/mini Mommy thing by how much Ellie adores her. Kindergarten drop-off looks like a scene from The Notebook. She's going to school for four hours, Ells...not being shipped off to war!























Adding to her big-girl cred, Keira got her own library card the other day (mostly because I was checking out a bazillion biographies for my class and there's a 25-book limit per card). She was THRILLED and signed the back of her card very, extremely carefully (as exhibited by the tongue sticking out).  Now all that stands between her and solo library trips is a little thing called a driver's license...























...although since she just learned how to ride her bike without training wheels, at least she's got one feasible mode of transportation:
















(Seriously, how awesome is my grandma to run up and down the street, at 70 years old, helping Keira learn to balance?) (And how lame am I to have just stood there taking videos and pictures while she did so?)

Last week, I asked one of her former teachers if there was a good time for us to stop by for a visit, which Kiwi has been asking to do for a while.  She suggested that Keira come in as a "guest speaker" to teach the class all about what to expect in kindergarten.  Of course, our little teacher jumped all over that idea, and even wrote down a list of things she wanted to say, including:

1)  If you want a friend, be a friend.
2)  Don't be afraid to try new things.
3)  Listen to the teacher
4)  Be a good sport.

Unfortunately, she forgot her list at home, but not to worry--amid all the preschoolers' random interruptions ("I gotta go potty!"  "I got a Transformer for Christmas."  "My brother's name is Ryan."), I'm sure they didn't really hear a word she said, anyway.  She had a good time, though!























So, Keira is practically a grown-up.  But at least I can console myself with the fact that Ellie is still a small human, right?

Wrong.

Ellie, too, is all about swiping my gig and doing things "all by herself."

I can make my OWN strawberry milk!























(By the way? Ewww. I will never understand how people can drink milk with strawberry syrup in it. Then again, when you consider the fact that said milk is actually intended for nursing baby cows, it's an altogether weird thing for us to be swigging out of a glass regardless.)

After figuring out how to fasten the chest clip on her car seat ages ago, Ells can now buckle the bottom part without help, too...and God help you if you try to do it for her!

Just...one...more...second...almost...got it...





















  

(Somewhere, I have a photo of Keira at this age, screaming at me with indignant rage because I tried to help her do the bottom buckle.  I wish I could find it!)

 No task may be completed without help from Ellie-Bug:

"Just gimme the keys, Mom.  I'll get the mail!"























But the best news of all--the BEST news--is that the little cupcake is finally tall enough to go in the kids' playroom at Ikea!























I cannot adequately convey how exciting this was for her--for both girls, actually, because Keira had never been in there, either.  And for us, I gotta say, it's pretty handy to have an hour of free, totally fun childcare while you shop for stuff you don't really totally need, so it's a win-win!  Too bad the nearest Ikea is 45 minutes away...

So, there you have it.  I'm about ready to be put out to pasture already!

Actually, I am a little bit sad to see the girls growing up so quickly, but I must admit that being able to sleep until 9am some mornings while they get themselves up is pretty nice.  Being obsolete definitely has its perks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!