Thursday, December 18, 2008

Joy

Even with a sick and cranky Cubby (who is the latest victim of That Cold That's Going Around and Refuses To Go Away--I'm still coughing and sounding like Joan Rivers off and on, after almost two weeks), I'm feeling rather jolly these days. Why?

Reason #1: Snow!
This is a mundane occurrence and/or a nuisance in many parts of the country, but it's mondo bizarro here, and we just can't get over how cool it was to wake up this morning to this:

Front yard:


Back yard:


Reason #2: I'm FINISHED!
As in, I just completed the final paper of my last and final master's program class...which means that unless I have done a horrific job on it, the Master of Teaching degree and Reading Specialist certificate are mine at last! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! All those hours I've spent reading, writing, and thinking to achieve this goal can now be dedicated to important endeavors such as, uh, wasting time on the internet. Ahem.

Reason #3: Num-Nums
That's what Cubby calls food--well, good food, at least. The Christmas Baking Extravaganza has begun, and I found a few new recipes to try out this year that turned out really yummy. (Note to self: try not to double own body weight before January.)

Stained-glass window candy
1 bag of semi-sweet choc chips
1 stick of butter
1 bag of multicolored mini-marshmallows

Melt choc chips and butter in a double boiler.
Mix in a large bowl with marshmallows (pour in a little at a time, and keep it moving. You don't want the marshmallows to melt) until marshmallows are completely coated.
Pour onto a sheet of wax paper, and roll into a log.
Refrigerate until firm. (Overnight works best)
Slice and serve.

Here's what mine looked like...they turned out oblong because I didn't do a great job of rolling the "dough" into a tidy log, but as you can see, someone and her grubby little hands seemed to approve of them anyway!


********

Two Chocolate Tiger Butter
1 lb white chocolate
1 12 oz jar peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1lb semi-sweet chocolate, melted

Combine white chocolate and peanut butter in top of double boiler or in the microwave. Line a large pyrex dish with wax paper and spread peanut butter mixture in pan. Pour melted semi-sweet chocolate over peanut butter mixture and swirl with a knife. Chill until firm, then cut into 1″ pieces and store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

********
I consider myself somewhat of a Christmas cutout cookie conniseur (that title brought to you by the letter C, obviously), and these are probably the best of the zillion recipes I've tried:

Pioneer Woman Cut-Out Cookies

So, even though we're going through Kleenex at an alarming rate, have been invaded by ants seeking refuge from the brrrrr, and have a zillion things to do before Christmas next week, it's joyful times here at the Bears' Den for the most part!

1 comment:

  1. That's so crazy that you guys had snow down there! The world is ending, right?

    But at least I got to see your yard and it looks great! Love the swingset too.

    And YUMMO on the cookies (a la Rachel Ray, ack!).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!