Friday, April 22, 2011

Grouchy Ladybugs

In kindergarten, Eric Carle's books (The Grouchy Ladybug, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, The Very Quiet Cricket, etc.) go perfectly with our spring unit on insects and life cycles. This ladybug craft--which I totally did not make up myself, by the way--is so stinking cute that I did it with the girls at home today, too. It's totally easy, and they loved it!

First, you cut out the shape of the ladybug (a black circle will do) and the two wings (a red circle cut in half works fine).

Decorate the wings with black spots, then fasten them with a brad, if you want them to open and close, or with glue if you prefer.




Add on some googly eyes and black antennae, and voila!



Of course, the best part is taking a photo of each kid making their best "grouchy face" to glue on the ladybug. In kindergarten, this goes along with a writing project where students write and finish the following sentence: "I feel grouchy when..." Some of my favorites from this year were:

"I feel grouchy when my mom does my hair."
"I feel grouchy when my sister wakes me up early."
"I feel grouchy when my dad won't let me play video games."
"I feel grouchy when my brother goes in my room."

There was plenty of family conflict evident in those replies!

When I asked Keira, hers was, "I feel grouchy when I lose a race." Mommy would like to add, "...and when I don't get chocolate milk and a Kiwi show first thing in the morning...and when Mommy makes me wear shorts or jeans or anything besides what I call soft pants!"

Ellie's would say, "I feel grouchy when Sissy knocks me down."

And mine? Mine would say, "I feel grouchy when I'm running late...and when I get lost...and when I hear Whiny Voices."

I would love it if I could make a gallery of people's grouchy faces and quotes. Grouchy people are no fun, but in the form of cute ladybugs, they're adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!