One thing I am good at is stealing ideas off the internet and adapting them to my own purposes; and for this reason, I'll do the "how-to" bit in case anyone is interested in doing this themselves. I hate it when I find something cool online and there's no explanation of how it got that way. How am I supposed to rip off your ideas, then??
I decided that using an overhead projector and/or making stencils would be giant pain, so I opted to tape off the tree instead. Since it's all straight lines, it's not too hard:
I decided that using an overhead projector and/or making stencils would be giant pain, so I opted to tape off the tree instead. Since it's all straight lines, it's not too hard:
I used a small can of regular brown semi-gloss paint (which was a waste of $12 because a small bottle of acrylic paint from Michael's would have sufficed--I barely used any of the can). Here's what it looked like when I peeled off the tape. I later used an angled paint brush to connect the branches where the gaps from the tape are:
The green lines and the multi-colored jellybeans are freehand, because I tried making a stencil and found it, indeed, to be a pain in the bootie. (In addition to my questionable artistic ability, I also lack the patience to do anything too painstaking.) All are done with acrylic paints from Michael's. Sorry about the stuff in the way--the tree trunk is actually straight, but the stepladder nearby makes it look crooked.
The whole shabang, including taping off the tree, took about 4 hours. Not bad!
Now, to the dilemma: I think it might need more jellybeans to make it look fuller, and maybe the words "jellybean tree" stenciled above it in cute font (because it's not obvious to the naked eye that they are, in fact, jellybeans, and not Easter eggs or fruit or whatever). Greg disagrees and says to leave it as-is. I'm leaving it alone for now to think it over. Any votes?
By the way, here's the original "inspiration" for the tree:

I'd love to include the bird, but fear it's beyond my capabilities at this time!
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ! Seriously, you should consider doing this for a living. It looks so good. I agree w/ Greg & would leave it as is.
ReplyDeleteGood job on the tree! I might steal your version ;-)
ReplyDeleteI think it looks amazing! Wanna come paint our house when we get one?? :-) I've seen sticker birds that you could get if you really want a bird there like the original...check the internet.
ReplyDeleteLooks great!!!! And, I bet you could do that bird just as well. :)
ReplyDelete