Thursday, January 22, 2009

On Account of My Rage

Ross (drugged and zombie-like): I saw a psychiatrist at work today.
Monica: Why?!
Ross: On account of my rage.
Chandler: Which I may say, right now, is out of control.


There are days when one is obnoxiously cheerful and all seems relatively well with the world: your child is potty training more easily than expected, it's finally time to ceremoniously remove the "Frodo Failed: Bush Has the Ring" bumper sticker from your car, you have a pumpkin smoothie (and a growing baby) in your belly, and a new season of "LOST" has dawned.

That was yesterday.

Then there are days when your toddler dumps a urine-filled potty onto the carpet while you're showering, pours water into the dog's food while you're on the phone about yet another car repair, takes the time-out in her room as an opportunity to go potty on the floor, and then laughs gleefully as the dog reaches it before you do and eats it. This is the kind of day that turns one into an Old Yeller again, and makes one wish a martini (or three) were an option.

This is today.

Whilst I'm feeling cranky, then, I'd like to thank the Academy for selecting five Best Picture nominees that are all currently in theaters and not available in parent-friendly DVD format. What, exactly, are the chances that Bear and I will get to the movies five times in the next month? Zero. For a couple who met at a video store, saw two movies on our first date, used to make a huge event out of the Oscars, and even had a movie-themed wedding and baby shower, we shall now celebrate our third consecutive year of being completely out of the loop at Academy Awards time. Bah humbug.

And in honor of my crankiness, I'd like to refer you to some similar-minded characters on the internet, who are far more entertaining in their crankiness than I:

Mr. Cranky and his Starbucks rant

Happy Hour Sue and the Greatest Invention of 2009

To be fair, I should point out that days like yesterday FAR outnumber days like today, and that Cubby really is doing remarkably well with the potty training: Day 3 ended up being 100% accident-free, and since then she's had only one accident per day, so life is still pretty good--if a bit exasperating at times!

1 comment:

  1. HILARIOUS! I love your blog. :)

    And I cannot believe K is potty trained. Unreal!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!