Thursday, May 14, 2009

Date Night

Bear and I had our first date night in, um...about a million years last night, and decided to go see the new Star Trek movie. At the risk of beating the Ellie-to-Keira comparison into the ground, I have to point out that we would never have been able to leave Keira at 5 weeks old! Keira always has a blast over there and I knew she'd be fine, but I was totally nervous about leaving Ellie and worried that I hadn't left enough milk once I found out how long the movie was.

The girls had a great time: Ellie chugged the bottle I'd made, plus 4-5 ounces of formula (which we went out and bought before the movie and dropped off at their house, to relieve my worries, so I'm glad we did!), while Keira played outside, ate sprinkles (I'd judge, but hey--it's grandma's house, and I do it myself sometimes), and somehow talked Pap-Pap into turning off the Dodgers game in favor of a "Dora" DVD. She has magical powers.

My comments on the movie are as follows:

1) Zachary Quinto is apparently following in the footsteps of Kevin Spacey, beginning with playing a creepy serial killer--Kevin Spacey as John Doe (in Seven), and Zachary Quinto as Sylar (on "Heroes")--and then building an entire career on being expressionless and overenunciating words. I say that like it's a bad thing, but I dig him. I can't comment on his portrayal of Spock, though, since my prior Star Trek knowledge could fit on the head of a pin.

2) Note to Eric Bana: Movie villains should not run. It makes them look less menacing. Maybe it's okay if it's the end of the movie and you're showing desperation, but see #1: expressionless equals scary, whereas running around and yelling equals borderline comical.

3) All plotlines involving time travel are like kryptonite to my brain, causing it to immediately malfunction. This should be classified as a disability so that federal funds could be allocated to finding out why I have a masters degree but can barely grasp the plot of Back to the Future...and why I still insist on watching "LOST" anyway.

Anyway, I ate way too much junk food, the movie was entertaining, and Bear and I got three hours to ourselves, all of which means date night was a big success, even though I'll admit to calling three times to check on the girls. Even when I'm recapturing my pre-mommy self, I can't forget about them for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!