Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Well, it's official: our 17-month-old already knows how to lie.

We thought we might make it a little further before she picked up that particular skill! She has figured out that if she sobs, "Numma-num?! Numma-num???" at bedtime, I assume she's hungry and take her back out for a snack instead. She may have honestly been hungry once or twice, but now we can feed the kid a double quarter-pounder with cheese and a super-sized fries on the way down the hall, and she still cries "Numma-num?!" the second I try putting her in the crib...and then wants to jump down and play as soon as we hit the kitchen.

(Just kidding about the burger and fries.)

(She prefers chili-cheese dogs.)

A few days ago, she also tricked me into opening the fridge by being the Little Girl Who Cried 'Milk'. Once I opened it and tried to hand her the cup, she tossed it aside and went for what she REALLY wanted: to steal stuff off the bottom shelf and run away giggling. How can such premeditated deceit come from such a small child, I wonder? This is another one of those things Bill Cosby already warned us about in his standup act, if only we had listened!

“The childless experts on child raising also bring tears of laughter to my eyes when they say, "I love children because they're so honest." There is not an agent in the CIA or the KGB who knows how to conceal the theft of food, how to fake being asleep, or how to forge a parent's signature like a child.”

In other news...we went by our house-to-be today while the appraiser was there, so that I could take more pics and video. This will allow me to obsess more accurately about painting vs. not painting vs. hiring painters, and over which might be the best paint color for Keira to scribble all over someday. And, for anyone who cares, now you can take a better look at our new place! I do realize, though, that looking at pics of someone else's house is probably a bit like looking at pics of other people's kids: not exactly fascinating for the most part. It's okay. I understand.

Here's video of the upstairs (sorry for the narration--not sure why I felt that was necessary!):




And here's the downstairs (again, helpful narration for those of you who don't recognize a fireplace when you see one):

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm so happy for you! What a perfect home for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know huh...it's amazing what limits they go to to test you.

    I think the house looks great. I couldn't tell, but the bedrooms look like it was just white. I think it would look nice with an accent wall...that way you won't have to paint the whole room. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!