Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pride & Prejudice

I've never really "gotten" the idea of patriotism, much in the same way that I don't "get" college pride. I liked my college and had a good experience there, but it's the only one I went to--how would I know if it's better than yours?? I don't boo other schools' teams, I don't automatically befriend or feel akin to fellow UC alumni, and I've never felt the need to deck myself out in school colors to show my allegiance.

Ditto for America. I live here, I have a sickeningly great life, and I have no desire to move elsewhere (in fact, the past few days have taught me exactly how annoying it is to hear people say they're moving to Canada because their candidate lost). On the other hand, I've never lived anywhere else, so can I really say with any conviction that it's the greatest country in the world? I'm not aware of many positive categories where we're ranked #1 among civilized nations, and I'd venture to say that there are probably several other places I could live and be happy... provided that I could take my family, friends, and fast food with me, of course. I love what this country stands for, and what it strives to be, but there are many times when I don't at ALL love what it is.

On Tuesday, as cheesy as it may be, that changed. For the first time in I-don't-know-how-long, I feel patriotic and proud to be an American. Not because "my" candidate won--but because his victory shows that the vast majority of voters (the 52% who voted for Obama, along with, I'm sure, most of those who chose McCain and did so for valid reasons) didn't base their decisions on fear-mongering, hate, or email forwards full of lies. I'm proud of the historical significance of this election; proud of the fact that people like my sister were inspired to vote for the first time this year; and proud to have a President-elect who demonstrates and celebrates intelligence, diplomacy, and responsibility.

Watching their speeches, I was proud that Obama's supporters cheered politely when he spoke of McCain, as opposed to the rude booing that came from the McCain crowd at the mention of Obama. I could have cried--okay, I did cry--when Obama said in his acceptance speech, "To those whose support I have yet to earn...I hear your voices...and I will be your President, too." Sure, they're just words, probably written by someone else and yet to be proven by actions, but after 8 years of "Either you're with me, or you're with the terrorists," it sure sounds promising to me. Do I think Obama will wave a magic wand and cure poverty, end all war, and help me lose my baby weight? No. But the bar is low, and my hopes are high. He'd better not mess it up.

I'll conclude with some random thoughts about the past few days, and then return to our regularly scheduled programming of Cute Cubby Pics:

1) I really, truly wish that whoever wrote John McCain's concession speech had run his campaign, and that he had shown as much grace and class over the past several months as he did in those few minutes. Nicely done.

2) As liberal as I am, even I thought every journalist on every major channel (except FOX News, of course) might as well have ripped off his/her suit to reveal an "Obama '08" shirt underneath as soon as his victory was declared. Their eyeballs were practically shaped like hearts as they talked about him, for crying out loud. Reel it in a little bit, will ya?

3) Proud of my state, I am not. Giving rights to cows and chickens = great. Taking away rights from gay citizens = embarrassing. We're right there with Arkansas in that department now, Californians, so all jokes about banjos, inbreeding, or missing teeth are hereby banned until we step it up a notch in the civil rights department.

4) Teehee:




2 comments:

  1. "giving rights to cows and chickens = great. Taking away rights from gay citizens = embarrassing"

    Wow- I didn't even think about that comparison- It makes the passing of Prop 8 even worse (like that was possible).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't live in CA but I was pretty shocked that Prop 8 passed too, AS for Arkansas well...without revealing to much, not ALL Arkansas voted against gay foster parents, and many of them have all their teeth, dislike banjos, and have quite a bit of higher education. You know, or so I have heard.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!