Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sleep, Interrupted

Cubby is usually an awesome sleeper, and 99% of the time, we don't hear a peep out of her between 8:30pm and 8-8:30am. Twice in the past week or so, though, she's had a very wakeful night and given Bear and me a taste of what life will be like again in a few months!

The first time, it seems like she must have had a nightmare about animals, because when I went in to see why she was crying at 2am, we had the following conversation:

Cubby: "Can Mommy pick you UP?!"

Me: "Sure, Mommy can pick you up."

Cubby (head whipping around in either direction, searching her room): "Where are the animals? The animals are coming!"

Me: "Sweetie, all the animals are at the zoo. There's no animals in your room."

Cubby (frantic now): "Where's snow animals?!"

(Nice grammar, former English major-slash-teacher!)

Me: "Not SNOW animals, Sweetie. There ARE NO animals in your room."

Cubby: "Blankie has buggies on her! Get the buggies off!"

What followed was a long process of turning on lights to prove my case, attempting to get her to fall asleep next to me on the couch (because sitting with her in my lap makes the whole "OMG, I can't breathe!" feeling even worse for some reason), and finally bringing her to bed, where she slept oh-so-cozily between Bear and me. Since I often have to stifle the desire to bring her to bed with me for no apparent reason other than the fact that she's really snuggly and cute when she sleeps, this worked out great.

Two nights ago, not so much. No nightmares this time, but she woke up to go potty and couldn't fall back asleep. This time, bringing her to bed resulted in the following, beginning at around 3am:

(We all get cozy and Bear falls asleep, snoring lightly)

Cubby (loudly, in her best Dora voice): "Mommy, do you know what that sound is?"

Me (whispering): "That's just Daddy snoring, Sweetie. Get cozy and go to sleep."

[Bear snores a little more]

Cubby (putting her hand on Bear's face): "No, Daddy, no! You don't have to do that!"

Me: (giggling) "Shhhh....go to sleep."

*5 minutes of silence*

Cubby (LOUDLY): "Heyyyyyy....where's my Blankie-blank-blank-blankio-blank-blankers?!" (She's all about the word play these days.)

Me: "It's right here. It's time to be quiet and close your eyes."

*5 minutes of silence, and I start to doze off*

Cubby (giggling): "Mommy, I just pooted."

Me: "Thank you for that information, Binks. It's time for na-nights."

After about two solid hours of this, I gave up and evicted the Binks back to her crib, where she (surprisingly) went to sleep quite willingly, and slept until 10am that morning. Hallelujah!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, I love the posts containing excerpts of your conversations with Keira. They crack me up. I can't wait until the days when Silas and I can hold a conversation where I can actually understand what he is saying. And I do think there is a distinct possibility that Keira and Silas will meet up one day at Backyardigans Annonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joy of sleepless nights! Madison has a midnight howl that she does right on cue every night. She screams at the top of her lungs for like 30 seconds and then promptly goes to sleep. We used to go in her room to try to comfort her, but it only makes things worst, so we have to let it go. Sometimes, she'll say things like Keira does too. Do you know why this happens??? It always freaks us out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I love hearing her little personality. She is so cute.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!