Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ain't That a Kick in the...

When I was pregnant with Cubby One, I became highly annoyed with my ob/gyn, because he started asking me around, oh, TEN WEEKS if I was feeling the baby yet. Thanks to having read every single pregnancy book on the market within the first two days of gestation, I knew that it was probably way too early, but it still bothered me because a) I was impatient to feel those kicks, and b) I really don't need any help coming up with things to worry about, including hints that something is "wrong" with me or my offspring because I can't feel a penny-sized (OK, well, Dorito-sized) embryo floating in my uterus. Thank you very much.

This time around, though...call me crazy, but I swear that I've been feeling little taps in there for over a week now. I'm only 12 weeks, but sure enough, at my appointment last week, the doc asked me if I felt anything yet. This time, his question was no longer irritating--now I have an actual, medical professional indulging what may be my imagination, but (preferably) may be Cubby Two positively rocking OUT in there. I feel it all the time now, and while this does not bode well for later months, when he/she increases in strength and size, it's awesome for the time being. (I should add here that his/her heartbeat sounds like hoofbeats, so I'm starting to collect evidence that I'm actually growing a My Little Pony in there, which would explain the frequency of the kicks. Fingers crossed for a purple mane!)

The other person doing a lot of kicking these days is Cubby One; she's also added Throwing Things and Random Screaming to her arsenal of toddler behaviors. It's hard to be mad at her, though, because as soon as she aims a kick at my belly while she's on the changing table, and sees the Stern Look on my face, she launches into Parrot Mode and repeats my shpiel: "We don't kick Mommy! We HUG Mommy and KISS Mommy!" And then she does just that. In fact, the other morning, we had the following conversation:

Cubby: "Grammy YUVS trains!"
Me: "She loves trains?"
Cubby: "Yeah. And Uncle Ryan loves trains, too!"
Me: "Does Kiwi love trains?"
Cubby: "Noooooo." (Lies. As if it's Grammy who insists on running 90 miles an hour out her front door every time a train whistle blows in the distance, on the off chance she might catch a glimpse.)
Me: "Well, what DOES Kiwi love?"
Cubby: (quiet for a minute, then looks up with a grin) "Kiwi yuvs Mommy!"

Every time she pitches a sippy cup at my face for the fun of it, or aims another kick (inadvertently, I hope) in the direction of Tiny Yittle Baby, I choose to remember AWWWW moments like that. Her potential for mischief and mayhem may be growing, but her preciousness knows no bounds!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it so weird? I always thought maybe I did feel Madison kick, but didn't know what it was, but this time around, I know what it feels like so I'm more in tune with it. But who knows? It's like the first time all over again!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!