Sunday, September 14, 2008

Are you there, Cubby? It's me, Mommy!

The good news: I feel 100% better this past week than I have in about a month. I'm functioning like a semi-normal human being, in that a trip to the grocery store no longer renders me comatose and the me-shaped indentation in the couch is barely visible anymore. Granted, I'm still dozing on the couch by 9 most nights, and in bed before 10, but this is progress nonetheless!

Of course, with that progress comes the worry: are you still okay in there, Cubby Two?! With Cubby One, I had gained about 6-8 pounds by this point and was having to unbutton my pants by the end of the day; right now, I'm at + 1 pound and still wearing all of my clothes comfortably. I should point out, though, that my Cubby One weight gain probably had more to do with my Del Taco habit than anything else, and that I've been a pretty healthy eater so far this time...so maybe I should pat myself on the back a little instead of fretting. My next appointment is on Wednesday, so hopefully the doc will find a heartbeat on the doppler for us and let me chill out again for a while.

As for Cubby One, I think it's safe to say that we're decidedly on the brink of the Terrible Two's *cue scary music*. The number of times she bursts into hysterical tears per day is astronomical, and it's usually over things like, "I ASKED FOR YOGURT AND YOU HAVE THE GALL TO GIVE ME YOGURT??? HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW I WANT IT IN A BLUE BOWL, AND WITH SEVEN SPOONS SO I CAN TAKE EACH BITE WITH A DIFFERENT ONE?! DON'T YOU KNOW ME AT ALL??!" Picture that, with a puckered-up Booey Lip, and there's what I've been dealing with on a constant basis this past week or so.

To be fair, she is one of the most well-behaved and polite toddlers in the known universe. When asked what she wants to drink, she'll say, "Chocat meeelk, pweese!" every time, and she says "Sank you" almost every time anyone hands her anything. The child even yelled, "Sowwy!" when she bumped into someone at the mall the other day! So, really, I can't complain too much. It's actually pretty cute when she gets all upset and runs, curls bouncing, full-speed down the hall, sobbing, "I'm gonna go AWAAAAAAY!" just because she doesn't like it when Mommy eats a bagel. Where she learned the "exit scene, running and in tears" technique, I'll never know, because soap operas are the ONE bad television habit I don't have...

Anyway, I know our ridiculously happy little girl is still in there, somewhere. I just hope she comes back out soon!

Oh, and can I brag for a minute? I let Cubby play at the Lego table at Gymboree the other day, and she made a stack of all the red ones and declared, "Red...rojo!" I knew she knew that one, because she has a Dora the Explorer phone that says it incessantly, but then she made a blue stack and said, "Blue...a-sool!" and I almost fell over (as did the ladies shopping nearby). This kid knows how to make me look good in front of the other mommies, that's for sure...just as long as she doesn't tell them she had Lucky Charms (just the marshmallows), fruit snacks, and Kraft mac & cheese for dinner tonight.

Hey, there are some battles I just don't have the energy to fight.

2 comments:

  1. You're doing wonderfully this time around! I remember with #2, it was completely different. Well, that I had a nasty Twix habit I didn't want to repeat.

    Super cute on K's Spanish. Dora and Diego rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every pregnancy is so different so don't be surprised by anything! The terrible 2s are horrible, but I hear that the 3s are worse...I am so not looking forward to that. I have to apologize and say that I HATE Dora...Madison loves it, but it's the bain of my existence.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!