No collar, no tags--just a face full of cute and a waggy tail, which is a welcome change from the other Wild Things we've encountered around here since we moved in. We walked the neighborhood, while Puppers ran alongside us (pretty obediently for his/her age), and found no leads on who the owner might be. I posted on craigslist today and stuck a "FOUND DOG" sign on our garage door, but so far, nothin'.
Now we are faced with a dilemma. Do we take this puppy as Fate's way of telling us we're finally ready for pet ownership...or do we consider the expenses, the responsibility, the inconveniences, and the baby on the way and send Puppers packing (in the most responsible way possible)?
Every time I start to think about the shots, the "fixing," the training, the hair, the fleas, the possible digging/barking/destroying the yard, and the endless supplies that seem to be required--not to mention the fact that we don't really know jack about dog ownership--I start to lean toward the latter. But then I look out into the back yard and see this:
Who can resist? It--well, SHE, we think--is a very well-behaved dog, hasn't barked once since she's taken up residence here, and seems to think feasting on hot dogs and Gerber Chicken Sticks is a fine way to live (obviously, we will have to venture out and buy actual dog food if she's still here by tonight). She's making an excellent case for herself, really.
Bear is right there on the fence with me, so I guess we're going to wait and see how it all plays out. Cubby seems to have taken a liking to her, but bursts into tears anytime I tell the puppy, "No" or "Get down." It seems to really hurt her feelings on the puppy's behalf!
If we do, in fact, become "finders, keepers," we will have yet another name to select, too. As if finding perfection like Pixley Buttonwillow and Tokay Grizzlyswallow is an easy thing to do, right? I've been calling her Puppers, and Cubby has picked up on it, but that's not really a very respectable name, and she won't be a puppy forever. I can just see us in the waiting room at the vet: "Sergeant Puppers? We're ready for you!" She might keel over from the shame of it all.
All advice welcome: keep her or find her another home? Names? General doggy tips?
She is very cute... and after seeing Kiwi sitting by the window looking at her, it would be difficult to kick her out. I think if she's not digging or barking, maybe that's a good sign??? LoL. If you do decide to keep her, just get her fixed.. or you'll end up like me.. with a billion animals because they're so cute you can't possible get rid of them. :) Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Aunt Jen Jen
Wow! How strange! I think you should keep her. All of the potential problems are so worth it!
ReplyDeleteYou're now living the American dream with your house and 1.2 kids and a dog! Dan won't let us get a dog :-( I can't wait until Madison is old enough to want one and then we can gang up on him! :-)
ReplyDelete