Based on the fact that Puppers is still here...and that I spent the evening buying doggy necessities, including a tag with our address and phone number on it...I suppose we can go ahead and say that we are now officially puppy owners. I should take the "FOUND DOG" sign off of our garage.
Already, the transition to pet ownership has been an adventure. After work today, I grabbed Cubby and we headed to the Gigantic Pet Warehouse of All Time, where I found out that dog carriers are priced as if they are made of pure gold instead of Rubbermaid plastic. We'll go ahead and wait for craigslist on that one, thank you very much! We left armed with puppy treats, dog pee de-stinkifying spray, a collar, and the aforementioned tag labeling her as a permanent resident of the Bears' Den, and then headed to Home Depot, where I bought chicken wire and 8 big concrete blocks.
Back at home, where it was now dark, I hauled the blocks through the house and around to the side yard, one at a time, fought with the chicken wire, and managed to fashion a barrier on either side of the house, all by the power of flashlight, that we hope will keep her in our yard until such a time as she is house trained and/or vaccinated and/or treated for fleas and other yucky things. The process was about as long as that sentence was: LOOOOOOONG. At the end of it, I let her inside the house and then got to try out our new dog pee de-stinkifying spray. Thanks for the demonstration there! But, it's all done, and hopefully she'll stick around tonight instead of roaming the street, which is what I found her doing at 6:00am this morning.
We named her Cate. Hopefully she'll be as talented as her namesake, Cate Blanchett, except at NOT destroying our house/yard instead of at adopting accents and portraying legendary historical figures. Although, if we could get her to do both, maybe we could make enough money off of her to afford a freaking dog carrier!
Yay! Welcome to the family Cate!
ReplyDeleteWow!! Kiwi sure is making puppy progress!! I thought she would be scared of the pup, but she seemed to be prety close to her without getting scared! :) Cate is very cute.. hopefully che will behave herself! LoL :)
ReplyDeleteLove
Aunt Jen Jen