Keira
About two nights after we brought Elliana home from the hospital, I sat up in bed nursing her and crying to Bear about how I already felt like I was neglecting Keira. I'd been thinking about Ellie almost constantly, worrying that she was dehydrated and making sure she was doing okay, and letting Bear and visiting family keep Keira occupied...which, of course, led to a giant Guilt Attack. "I feel like I'm taking love and attention from Keira to give to Ellie!" *sob* "I'm treating Keira like she's an inconvenience already!" *sob* Needless to say, I may have been a little hormonal, and I'm glad to report that things have settled down enough that I've realized it is possible, as everyone always assures paranoid moms-of-two-to-be, to love two children equally.
Keira, for her part, is making it easy to adore her these days (when is she not?) with the hilarious things she says. Examples:
- When she was riding in the car with Bear, another driver cut Bear off and he muttered (apologies for his child-unfriendly language), "Jesus Christ!" Keira said, "Where?!"
- She sings "It's a Small World" constantly and thinks the lyrics go, "It's a world of mat-ter, a world of teats..."
- On "Dora," they sing, "Where are we going?" *clap clap clap* "Apple tree!" (or whatever 2-3 syllable destination they're trying to reach in that episode)...so when we had to take Elliana to the lab for more blood work and then go to Target, Keira sat in the back seat singing, "Where are we going?" *clap clap clap* "Tiny-baby-Cubby's-doctor-and-then-Target-store!" She actually repeated this 3 times successfully, in true Dora fashion.
- Another "Dora" moment, courtesy of the "Dora Saves Diego" episode: in a high-pitched voice, Keira yells, "Hellllp!" and then, in her normal (okay, her Dora) voice, exclaims, "That sounds like ME! We need to go help Keira before she falls into the prickles and thorns!"
- Bear was getting dressed and hadn't put his shirt on yet when Keira walked in, looked at his chest, and asked, "Daddy, are those your milkies?" Brief explanations about how daddies don't make milk ensued.
- Elliana was wearing a onesie with little horses and horseshoes on it, and Keira asked what the horseshoes were. I said, "They're horseshoes...shoes that horsies wear so their feet don't get hurt." She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "I don't think so, Mommy."
There are probably a lot more, but those are the ones that stand out in my sleep-deprived state. Which brings me to...
Elliana
We finally heard back about Ellie's test for hypothyroidism, and it looks like everything's fine. One of her numbers is still a tiny bit high, but her doctor said we'll just re-test (a-freaking-gain) in a month or so to make sure it goes down to an officially-normal number by then. A thyroid disorder, he said, would likely result in a much higher number, so we're not going to worry unless things come back wacky in a month or so.
Anyway, Miss Ellie slept 5 hours straight on Monday--unfortunately, it was 7pm-1am and I didn't benefit from it much, since I didn't expect it to happen and kept thinking she was about to wake up any minute! I got my payback last night, when she was awake until 5am, and thus, so was I. Not cool, but at least she just grunts and squawks instead of screams, so I can handle that! She's such a snuggle-bug and almost never cries, and we're loving all the ridiculous Jim Carrey-esque faces she makes. More pics again soon!
Okay, so we had "a world of teats," me nursing in bed, and Bear's lack of "milkies" all in one post. I guess this did turn out to be all about the boobies, didn't it? Sorry.
Keira cracks me up! And you totally deserve a baby like Ellie because you're such a great mom. I'm glad the tests came back okay..hopefully, it'll completely be normal next month.
ReplyDelete