Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ready as we'll ever be!

Yesterday, we went to the highway patrol to have all four of the car seats inspected, since we had to move Cubby's off to one side and turn it forward-facing to fit two seats in each of our cars. I'm SO glad we did: they found a few tiny mistakes and got them waaaaay tighter than we could in my car, so those suckers don't budge at all now...it's like they're built into the car.

One of the officers said that in the entire time he's been doing this, he's seen a grand total of TWO car seats that were 100% correctly installed by the parents! You'd think it wasn't exactly rocket science, but a Parents magazine article also recently said that about 80% are installed wrong overall (too loose, seat belts twisted, adjusted wrong, etc.) so we weren't taking any chances. Minus the carpet cleaning, that's the last item on the to-do list, so we're about as ready as we'll ever be for Cubby Two now!

(Cubby did volunteer to clean the carpets with a spray bottle and scrubby brush yesterday, so I went ahead and put her to work:)


After the car seat inspection, we had some time to kill before my checkup, so we took Cubby to the park. I don't know why she makes this face so much lately--it could just be sun in her eyes, or maybe she already has inherited our poor eyesight!


Then we went to my checkup, where I fully expected to be told (again) that I was making zero progress. Wrong! He said I'm at 1-2cm and 50% effaced, but pointed out that since I'm not having any "real" contractions yet, it could still be a while...or not. There's really no telling, but I consider any progress made before the pain begins to be like extra credit, and I'm taking it!

This may be the last picture of Cubby as an only child with her mommy...sob!

So far today, I'm feeling lots of aches and pains and just generally like something might be going on, but it could just be your basic end-of-pregnancy stuff that may or may not last for a while yet. The doc said since I don't want to be induced if I don't have to be, he'll let me go as far as April 14th (9 days overdue) before he will forcibly evict the Cub. Puh-leeeeeeze, Pregnancy Gods, don't let it drag on for that long!

4 comments:

  1. The pic of you and Keira is darling. I think I am starting to live vicariously through you and I am very excited for your new arrival. I didn't do the baby guessing game but I'm thinking Sunday is the deadline (but I also thought I was sure when Silas would be born and he was four days late so I'm probably way off). I'm wishing you a speedy and easy labor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! I wish I looked that good at the end of my pregnancies! Glad you guys have everything ready. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and you'll have cubby 2 in your arms soon! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delurking again JUST to say how incredibly and perfectly adorable that last picture is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWWW I love that pict of you and K!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!