When I went in Keira's room to get her up on Monday morning, carrying Elliana, Keira said, "What's that?" I said, "This is that tiny little baby that was in my belly. Remember when you came to see her at the hospital?" She stood up in her crib and said, "Can you pick me up so I can teach her how to walk?"
And later that day, as she watched me nurse the baby, she said, "You have to put that baby down so I can have some milk, too, Mama." I had to explain that this milk would taste yucky to a big girl like her!
Last night, I asked Keira, "What do you think of this new baby?" and she replied matter-of-factly, "I think that's awesome."
Here's Keira talking about her new sister...and ladybugs:
It's funny: in some ways, Elliana is so much like Keira was as a baby. She does the same funny little things while nursing (the scrunched-up vampire face when she's latching on...the tiny fists balled up by her eyes while she drinks...the slow-motion pull-and-sigh when she's done) and, I think, looks a lot like Keira did when she was born. Judge for yourself:
Keira:
Ellie:
In other ways, though, this time around has been a completely different experience from Minute One. While Keira nursed or cried 24/7 as a baby, Ellie is pretty content, which means I can actually take showers, spend time with Keira, and get a few things done while Bear enjoys some snuggle time with the little one for an hour or two, with no problem at all. Ah, the sense of freedom! Ellie is a decent sleeper and will sleep up to 3 hours at a time before I wake her up to feed her, but she does want to be held or sleep next to me and isn't a fan of the bassinet yet. We'll keep working on it, but for now, I'll do what it takes to catch some sleep!
Here are a few more pics:

It's so great when they sleep! I'm so glad that she's so good for you! And isn't it funny how the older child will react to the baby? I love it!
ReplyDelete