Monday, August 3, 2009

Back to Work Blues

Today was my first official day back at work, and though I'd like to say we're all making the transition smoothly, it hasn't quite turned out that way.

First of all, Keira came down with croup this past weekend, so instead of going in to help my partners set up our classroom, I stayed home to take her to urgent care. She's got a prescription to help with the inflammation, but since the illness itself is caused by a virus, we just have to wait it out.

Last night, I slept 4 or 5 scattered hours, got up at 5:30am, and managed to gear myself up for the first day of kindergarten...but then was greeted by what can only be described as a surprisingly unruly group of children (although perhaps my exhaustion and lack of patience has colored my perception of them?). My jobshare partner and I were both there today to get to know the kids, and we just kept shaking our heads at each other and chuckling, because there wasn't much else we could do. We've got several kids this year who just never stop talking, don't follow directions, and cry or yell out "I don't wanna do that!" numerous times a day. Attention, kindergarteners: if I'm going to leave my two little girls at home to teach you, the least you could to is attempt to be as enjoyable as they are!

At lunchtime, my grandma picked up the girls so Bear could go to work, and then brought them down so I could nurse Ellie. Keira had a fever by that time and was just a basket case, sobbing on my lap and begging me to come home with them. My partner finally told me I should just go, and she'd finish out the day on her own, prompting a mental showdown between Work and Kids that, of course, ended with Kids the victor and Work the loser. Now it's me who feels like the loser, though, because it's only the first week of school and I've already bailed on my partners twice!

I'm going to wallow in the colossal failure that was today for a little while, and then give myself a pep talk and start over again in the morning. I'm incredibly lucky that I only have to go back part-time, so even if I have to spend 2-3 days a week with potential "Supernanny" clients, I guess it could be a lot worse...

2 comments:

  1. I've been there. I was a preschool teacher until my youngest was 2. There were days when all I accomplished at work was crowd control! And other days were really good and we got so much done... Hopefully your kindergartners will calm down once they are used to the routine and work life will be good (well, as good as work life can get.) Hang in there and just count down the hours until you get to see the girls again. Good luck!

    Hopefully K will be feeling better tomorrow. My kids have both been sick too. We were also at urgent care last week. Kids aren't supposed to get sick in the summer! Didn't anybody give our kids that memo?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hope the first day is just the opposite of how the rest of your year will be. It will just get easier from there on...I know it. :-) It's tough to be super teacher and super mom, but I think you're doing a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are the Scooby Snacks of the blog world...thanks for tossing one my way!